[PADG:1881] Rolled wall maps

Our map department has a collection of old "pull-down" wall
maps attached to wooden dowels. These maps, which were originally used in
the classroom, are rarely if ever used by a patron outside of the
department. Our maps librarian is wondering if  it would be sound
practice to remove the maps from the dowels in order to store them flat
(which is more efficient).
I am wondering how other institutions have handled their collection of
rolled wall maps.  Any input or advice would be most appreciated.
Please feel free to reply directly to me off-line if you
prefer.
Thanks,
and Happy New Year,
Kristin