[PADG:1824] Re: Preservation Awareness During Tight Budgetary Times

Ellen,

Here at Stanford I know exactly what you're going through.  We
talked about deferred binding as one alternative to get the operating
costs down.  However, that was really not going to save us a lot in
the long run and it really puts our collections at risk.  So as an
alternative to binding (overall ) we are going to try our hand at Book
Stiffening.  Currently Cornell is using this process and has been
for, I believe, 15 years (? don't quote me).  I'm trying to get a
trip together within the next month to assess the process and to see if
it really will fit with our current situation and resources.

We were just discussing today that when budget cuts hit, Preservation is
usually it's first victim.  I would be happy to discuss this with
you further and if you had any questions see what I could do as far as
getting them answered.