[PADG:1823] Re: Preservation Awareness During Tight Budgetary Times

Hello all--We are completing a  joint study funded by IMLS on the state of
preservation programs in American college and research libraries that
included both a statistical component and 20 site visits to institutions in
ARL, the University Libraries Group, major non-ARL land grant institutions,
and members of the Oberlin college group.  The partners in this study
include CLIR, ARL, the Regional Alliance for Preservation, and the
University Libraries Group.  The report will be issued by CLIR late this
year.   Anne
At 02:46 PM 10/17/2002 -0400, Ellen Welch wrote:
>We are looking for a discussion of what other Preservation Folks in Academic
>Library Institutions are experiencing with Budget Cuts and limiting funds
>and what this means for Preservation in the future.
>This year we are facing big challenges as our Preservation Budget has been
>reduced .  We have currently stopped Binding and are looking for new ways to
>be creative and resourceful in Preservation.  During this lean time, we are
>exploring ways that Preservation can add more to our Collections by
>maintaining  materials and performing more in-house operations.  As
>Preservation  is more than just  binding  materials in the Collections, it
>is also focused on extending the shelflife of all materials in the longterm,
>using a variety of treatments and optimum conditions. This could be an
>opportune time to increase awareness of Preservation's Role in Academic
>Libraries.  We are very interested in learning more about what our
>colleagues in other Academic Library Institutions are experiencing  in their
>efforts to preserve Collections during difficult budgetary times.  How are
>other Institutions supporting their Preservation Staff?   Do others agree
>that
>this is a time for education and exploration of Preservation Issues and
>Awareness?
>

>Ellen L. Welch
>Preservation Coordinator
>University Of Virginia Library
>Alderman Library
>PO BOX 400105
>Charlottesville, VA. 22904-4105
>E-mail:  elg3e@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>Phone:  804 924-1055
>FAX:     804  924-3143

Anne R. Kenney
Assistant University Librarian
Instruction, Research, and Information Services
Cornell University Library
213 Olin Library
Ithaca, NY 14853
607-255-6875