[PADG:1796] Fwd: Article for Library Trends--URGENT

An urgent request if anyone is interested.  Sorry if you have already
seen this.

Charles

Charles Wilt
Executive Director
Association for Library Collections &
Technical Services (ALCTS)
50 E. Huron St.
Chicago, IL  60611
1-800-545-2433, ext. 5030
312-280-5030
Fax: 312-280-5033
Email:  cwilt@xxxxxxx

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"

>>> jones barbara <jones5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 09/05/02 10:56AM >>>
Members of the Preservation Section Executive Committee:

My name is Barbara Jones, and I am Head of the Rare Book and Special
Collections Library at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  I
am
guest editor for an entire Library Trends issue to be published July,
2003:  "Special Collections in the 21st Century--Future Trends."

I have assembled a really great group of writers.  And everyone has
said
"yes"--except I can't seem to get anybody to write a
preservation/conservation article.  I have tried my network, and have
asked lots of people, but everyone is swamped.

I just don't see how we can put out this issue without mentioning
conservation and preservation.

I would consider 2 or 3 articles, actually.  One should be a survey of
what's new and what to expect in the future.  Another could be about,
let's say, film and other difficult formats.  Whatever.  My mind is
totally open, to creative ideas or survey types of articles.

The deadline is Dec. 1, 2002, but given the circumstances, I would be
willing to work with the author(s) on giving them more time.

Could you send this out to your membership or tell me how I might get
the
word out?  Library Trends is a very prestigious journal, and I would
think
that there would be a number of really great authors and ideas and
issues
out there!

Thanks so much, Barbara Jones

P.S.:  People are WELCOME to contact me individually.