[PADG:1780] Re: Cleaning up after Demco Fastape

I am curious also how others address this problem, if they have it, and if you
got any good responses.  Unfortunately, VCU had someone taping books for the
slightest damage 'way back when.  In my observation, the tape doesn't damage
adjacent items, and I haven't noticed the adhesive residue falling off unless
the tape is removed.   I'm curious if your colleague has observed acidic
transfer to adjacent books from the tape or damage from loose grit.

Taped books that come through circulation and stacks staff are placed on a
"damaged books" shelf along with other damage and those acidic pamphlet
binders.   The need to remove the tape and correct the repair is evaluated
according to staffing, workflow, the extent to which the damage affects the use
of the book.  The most common problem I see is the tabs that extend over the
cover to the inside tend to pull the endsheet away from the textblock.  Most of
the repairs involve replacing the spine and endsheets.  We don't generally take
the time to remove the adhesive; the icky part is removed and the new spine
placed over it.  This work is placed in the queue along with other work,
including replacing acidic pamphlet covers.  An item may move from the queue to
priority if a patron requests it.

Our priorities are based on use:
1) journals not available online
2) monographs in the N, TR, TK, QA, and HV classes in that priority order
3) other monographs
4) journals available online

Patricia

--