[PADG:1775] Binding questions

At the University of Kansas Libraries, we are using the Endeavor Voyager
system, and as we have struggled with its various idiosyncrasies I thought I
would check with some of you out there to see if you have found good ways of
dealing with some binding problems Voyager has introduced?at least to us.
So, if you could take a few minutes and answer the following few questions I
would be most appreciative.  Please send your answers directly to me, and if
I get enough useful information, I will put together as short summary report
for the PADG list.

Okay, here are the questions:

1.  Do you use the "At the Bindery" status when you send things to the
bindery?  If not, briefly say why, and what you do instead to track material
being sent to the bindery

2.  We have had some difficulty getting the Voyager system to automatically
generate claims.  It is getting better now, but there are still a lot of
journal volumes that are incomplete, and we don?t know about it until we get
ready to bind them.  Then we are faced with a dilemma about much effort to
put into claiming missing issues.  Do other libraries face the same problem,
and if so, how much effort do you spend on claiming?

3.  At your institution, how much of the claiming and holdings updates, item
record updating, and other such serial processing procedures are done in the
bindery preparation unit, and how much is done by branch libraries or other
processing units?

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer these questions.  I do
appreciate it!!!

Brian Baird

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Brian J. Baird