[PADG:1704] Re: Preservation Instr. Educ. and Outreach Disc. Grp. ALA - Atalanta

Preservation Instruction, Education, and Outreach Discussion Group,
ALA Annual - Atlanta, GA
Sunday, June 16, 2002
2:00 - 4:00 pm
Georgia World Congress Center, B307

As we all know, there is a constant need to raise preservation awareness
for library staff outside of preservation.  How do we share our
knowledge with our colleagues throughout the library?  What kind of
information is critical to building staff awareness and to creating a
library wide environment or culture that supports preservation
objectives?  How do you encourage buy-in from staff for orientation
programs and training sessions?  What kinds of tools have we developed
to meet our education goals and effectively communicate policy?    What
are the different approaches?  What works and what doesn't work?  How do
we evaluate or measure the success of efforts and how do we sustain
those efforts over the long term?

We will begin with a panel of our colleagues who will share their
experiences and help us to get things started.  Our speakers will offer
perspectives on both library wide preservation education initiatives, as
well as training approaches that target and are tailored to specific
staff groups.  We have will also hear from several speakers from outside
of the preservation ranks who will discuss their experiences developing
training programs and/or building commitments to library-wide learning
curriculums that include preservation awareness or education.

Panelists:
Julie Page, Preservation Librarian, UC San Diego
Sue Koutsky, Brittle Books/Reformatting/Mass Deacidification Team
Leader, University of Maryland Libraries
Sue Baughman, Assistant Dean for Organizational Development, University
of Maryland Libraries
Marcia Barrett and Patricia Ratkovich, Catalog Librarians, University of
Alabama

Please join us for the presentations and share your most effective
strategies and most difficult challenges faced in providing preservation
education and building awareness in your library.

--
Christine E. McCarthy, Collections Conservator
University of Maryland Libraries

McKeldin Library
Preservation Production Group - Conservation
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742-7011

tel: 301-405-9349
fax: 301-314-9971
e-mail: cm272@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

begin:vcard
n:McCarthy;Christine
tel;fax:310-314-9971
tel;work:301-405-9349
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:University of Maryland Libraries;Preservation
adr:;;McKeldin Library;College Park;MD;20742-7011;
version:2.1
email;internet:cm272@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Collections Conservator
fn:Christine McCarthy