[PADG:1692] Re: binding policy

At the University of Michigan a policy of deferred binding of paperbacks
was adopted in 1991: new paperbacks go straight to the shelf and are
selected for binding when they return from the first circulation. The
reason was to stretch the binding budget to accommodate more serials
binding.

Over the years we have developed recommendations that the following types
of paperbacks be routed for binding before they are shelved for the first
time:
less than 1/4" thick ("pamphlets")
spiral or comb binds
loose leaf/ring binder
paperbacks that need pockets for loose materials
oversize (over 11" high or over 1-1/2" thick)
landscape or other unusual shape

All others are selected for binding when they return from circulation.
Some of the more heavily-used libraries in the system have chosen to defer
binding until the book shows damage (in order to keep high-demand books in
circulation during peak periods). Rarely has this extra delay resulted in
the need to replace a book.

In 1998 I did a study of the condition of paperbacks on the shelf. Both a
sampling survey and anecdotal evidence indicated that the failure of
paperback bindings was very small (too small to measure in the survey)
after 7 years of the deferred binding policy.

In 1998 I also contacted twelve other large research libraries about their
paperback policies. Four reported that at that time they routinely bound
or stiffened all new paperbacks. Eight others had adopted a policy of
selective and/or deferred binding at some time since 1990. All eight
reported that so far they had not encountered significant deterioration of
collections because of reduced binding of paperbacks.

That "so far" may be significant, since some damage is likely to show
itself after many, many years of storage on the shelf if the book is
improperly supported. The situation warrents continued monitoring.

In general, I have observed that the flexibility and durability of the
adhesives used for paperbacks has become much better over the last 15-20
years. Publisher's hardcover bindings, especially for popular books, seems
to be deteriorating--but that is another story.

Shannon Zachary, Head			E-mail:	szachary@xxxxxxxxx
Conservation Services			Phone:	734/763-6980
University of Michigan Library		Fax:	734/763-7886
837 Greene St. / 3202 Buhr Bldg.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1048