[PADG:1672] Dust during construction

Hello,

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this situation: One of our floors
has been under construction for several months and yesterday, without
warning, plaster dust somehow escaped the construction floor and entered a
floor with bookstacks. It all happened in less than an hour but there is
now a very visible layer of dust on all the books and shelving. The floor
holds about 15,000 volumes.

For anyone who has experienced this minor disaster, how was it rectified -
did you hire workers to dust every surface - and, if so, who paid for them?
We may have a contract which spells out responsibility for problems like
this, but I'm not aware of it.

A search on CoOL did not yield much. The most applicable posting concerned
black lead paint dust.

Thanks very much.

Patricia Turpening
Head, Preservation and Archives