[PADG:1673] Re: Dust during construction

We had a similar situation when I was working at the State Historical
Society of Iowa. We hired a company that had a good track record of
cleaning libraries after disasters to do the clean up. We did monitor the
cleaning. I believe we built in clean up as part of the construction budget
so I can't help you on responsibility question.

At 10:19 AM 5/1/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I wonder if anyone else has experienced this situation: One of our floors
>has been under construction for several months and yesterday, without
>warning, plaster dust somehow escaped the construction floor and entered a
>floor with bookstacks. It all happened in less than an hour but there is
>now a very visible layer of dust on all the books and shelving. The floor
>holds about 15,000 volumes.
>
>For anyone who has experienced this minor disaster, how was it rectified -
>did you hire workers to dust every surface - and, if so, who paid for
>them? We may have a contract which spells out responsibility for problems
>like this, but I'm not aware of it.
>
>A search on CoOL did not yield much. The most applicable posting concerned
>black lead paint dust.
>
>Thanks very much.
>

>Patricia Turpening
>Head, Preservation and Archives