[PADG:1560] Book Return Trolleys

Can anyone help with this........

In the Main Reading Room of the National Library of Australia we have
spring-loaded trolleys for readers to return books when they're finished.

We suspect that other readers are searching through these return trolleys
and taking books which they have not put through our new electronic call
slip system. Therefore books are being misplaced or reserved under different
names.

To try and deter readers from searching through the return trolleys we are
trying to design a lid chute system or 'curtained box'  attachment. Of
course there are preservation implications that need to be considered with
these ideas.

Has anyone had to deal with a situation such as this?
We have limited funding and staff resources and are interested in any ideas
that involve an attachment or alteration to our existing trolleys. The
trolleys have no shelves and are spring loaded (ie. the base drops as the
weight of the books gets heavier).

If you have any ideas, opinions or suggestions concerning this matter we
would greatly appreciate hearing from you.

Contact

Rachel Spano
Preservation Services
National Library of Australia