[PADG:1559] Midwinter Security

I don't recall seeing this posted.  Apologies for duplication.

MEMORANDUM

November 26, 2001

TO:  ALA Unit Managers

FROM:  Deidre Irwin Ross, CMP

RE:  New Security Procedures at Midwinter and Annual

As you know, since the 9/11 incident, there have been new security
measures in place not only at airports, but in large office buildings,
high rises, movie studios, government buildings, sporting events and any
large gatherings of people.  This includes conventions and convention
centers.  After consulting with the folks at the Morial Convention
Center and our security consultants, Summit Security, we have new
security guidelines. You may wish to pass these on to your various lists
so no one will be surprised when they arrive on-site.

1. A photo ID will be required for registration credential pick-up.

2. Any unattended bags or boxes throughout the convention center or
hotel meeting rooms and corridors will be removed by security.

3. Attendees and staff are urged to keep control of their badge at all
times.  A lost badge could permit unauthorized persons to enter secured
areas.

4. Attendees and staff should always be aware of their surroundings.  If
there is a suspicious person or item, please notify security or show
management immediately.

5. We will have a redesigned security schedule taking into consideration
the heightened state of security and any new requirements by individual
venues.  This will include security guards checking badges not only at
convention center meetings and events, but also at the meeting hotels.

6. Staff, Attendees and Exhibitors must wear their badge at all times in
any ALA function and when they are in the Convention Center.  People
without a badge in the Convention Center will be escorted to
Registration where they will be able to obtain one.

7. Due to security restrictions the Internet Café will not be able to be
open 24 hours. Only from 6:00am until 10:00pm.

8. ALA Office Hours will be the same as the Internet Café.  If there are
extenuating circumstances, please contact me as soon as possible.

9. Take off your badge as you leave the convention center or any of the
meeting hotels. Don?t wear it on the street.

If you have any questions, please contact me.