[PADG:1512] Re: Mid-Winter Joint Discussion Group

The Physical Treatment/Quality and Preservation Instruction, Education, and
Outreach discussion groups are planning discussions for the ALA midwinter and
annual meetings centered around the topic of training.  The first discussion,
planned for midwinter, centers on the training of in-house conservation
technicians or repair staff.  Our working topic is "Given the range of
responsibilities, funding and staffing in library preservation programs how do
you meet the training needs of your technician level staff?  Conservators and
preservation administrators have to rely on a wide range of staff - from
volunteers to student workers to part time bookbinders.  How do you construct a
training program that can produce consistent and high-quality results?"

We are looking for volunteers to participate in the discussion who would be
willing to share their experiences with providing training for repair staff.
We are particularly interested in perspectives that might include the use of
outside training workshops and/or consultants to build in-house skills or have
created/utilized any kind cooperative training program with other institutions
to meet training needs. We would like to include as many different perspectives
as possible, so we are asking PARS members to participate in a survey in
preparation for the discussion.  Our hope is that the attached survey will help
to get the ball rolling and pique your interest in the discussion to follow.
Thank you for your assistance and we look forward to seeing all of you in New
Orleans.

Please respond by Dec. 31, 2001 via e-mail to cm272@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Christine
McCarthy)

1. Type of collections/institution?

2. Preservation Librarian or Conservator?

3. Types and levels of staffing

4. Training methods: those that you've tried and their effectiveness:
 a. individual
 b. group
 c. manuals
 d. videos
 e. online presentations
 f.  outside workshops/courses
 g. other methods

5. How do you evaluate the success of your training methods?

6. How do you plan for continuing education/further staff development?

Christine McCarthy, Collections Conservator
Preservation Department
McKeldin Library
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742-7011