[PADG:1510] Re: Binding Automation

Patricia --
Currently, the III binding interface is for serials and only available in the character based version. A web based version is soon to be tested and available. It is important to remember that there are 4 levels of involvement in the development & use of a binding interface. The operating system, the bookbindery, the LARS owner and the library. When producing serial bindery slips,  a file is created with data elements that the LARS system can import. The file is sent to the bookbindery and the bookbindery uses an additional LARS program to import the data and create the stamping file.

At UCSD we have limited experience with the web based bindery module due to printing problems on forms.  The problems need to be resolved  by III before testing of the web based version can be completed.

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:37:22 -0500
From: Patricia P. Selinger < pepalmer@xxxxxxx >
To: padg@xxxxxxx
Subject: [PADG:1509] Binding Automation

VCU is investigating ILS vendors and local presentations have been
planned. The companies we are interviewing include: Innovative, Sirsi,
Endeavor, and Exlibris. I attended the excellent session at this past
ALA where representatives from Innovative and Exlibris spoke about
binding interfaces.

We are using LARS. Innovative said in their literature that their
system is compatible with LARS but I recall that those in the audience
at ALA using Innovative said that it didn't work. In the literature
I've seen from Innovative, I can find information only on serials
binding.

I would like to hear pro/con from those who use the above library
systems for binding and will summarize for the list.

Thanks in advance.
--
**********************************
Patricia Palmer Selinger