[PADG:1459] Re: effect of relaxed food and drink policies on preservationprograms

Anne,

I only have anecdotal evidence but, for what it's worth, here it is.

A few years ago, we changed our policy from no food and drink in the library
at all to begin allowing beverages in reclosable or spill-resistant
containers.  The policy is posted at the following URL:
http://www.lib.unc.edu/aoffice/policies/food.html

During the first year our policy was in effect, a graduate student working in
Preservation made periodic surveys of public areas during different times of
day, different days of the week, exams, intersessions, etc.  These informal
observations showed that many people were bringing beverages into the library
but most were using acceptable cups and bottles.  She did not find very many
people eating.  Unfortunately we don't have data from before the policy change
and we have not repeated the exercise in a long time for comparison.

The change was well-received by public service staff, who bear the
responsibility for enforcement.  Student assistants in particular had been
very uneasy about approaching patrons to tell them they couldn't bring coffee
or a soda into the library -- especially when that behavior was so pervasive.
Allowing beverages gave the library a more realistic middle ground.  One
drawback emerged quickly.  Not long after beverages in bottles were declared
officially OK, student representatives successfully argued for a vending
machine in the library. So, one could argue, we went from tolerating to
encouraging drinking in the library.  Even so, the most prominent sign of
damage I've seen is the perpetually stained carpet in front of the soda
machine.  If the policy has resulted in greater pest problems or an increase
in food-related damage to collections, the changes are too subtle to notice in
the course of everyday work over a 4 year period.

Note, this policy applies to our main library.  Our special collections are
all in another building where food and drink in public areas is allowed only
in a couple places used for receptions and only during those events.  No food
or drink is allowed in any special collections reading rooms.

Andy

"Anne R. Kenney" wrote:

> Hello--I am looking for evidence that the move toward relaxed food and
> drink policies has actually encouraged library patrons and staff to abide
> by the rules.  If you have introduced more liberal policies regarding food
> and drink in the library and have a sense of their impact on user
> compliance, I would be very interested in hearing from you.   Thanks, Anne
>
> Anne R. Kenney
> Associate Director, Department of Preservation
> Co-Director, Cornell Institute for Digital Collections
> Cornell University Library
> 215 Olin Library
> Ithaca, NY 14853
> 607-255-6875
> fax: 607-254-7493
> email:  ark3@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Director of Programs
> Council on Library and Information Resources
> www.clir.org

 Andrew Hart, Preservation Librarian
 CB#3910, Davis Library
 Chapel Hill, NC 27514