[PADG:1444] Orientation presentations

My institution is a university research library with a student body of
just over 24,000.  The Libraries have automated kiosks with a touch
screen for self-guided information retrieval.  Because it is self-guided,
time varies according to use.  Students can find where information is
located in the Libraries, floor maps, hours, and policies.  They can also
retrieve personal student records by inputting the school id number.
(Soon this will work with a swipe of the VCU ID card.)  Any page on the
screen can be printed.  This comes in very handy when we are hiring
students and need financial aid award letters, class schedules, etc.
Kiosks are also located in the Student Commons.  They were installed on a
trial basis in 1998 and were accepted enthusiastically by students and
public services staff.

Patricia

--
Patricia Palmer Selinger