[PADG:1391] RE: Polypropylene Storage Boxes for Video

Winston,

A great person to speak with about this is Scott Williams, a conservation
scientist at CCI. Unfortunately my experience with him as well as other
scientists is that the answers always include a very large "non-answer"-they
worry not about the polypropylene, but about the additives which we as
consumers have trouble finding out about.

I will comment on one issue to consider-and that is whether the containers
are air tight or not. I don't believe the polypropylene will degrade or
offgass or "ooze" (depending of course on additives) any faster than the
videotapes will deteriorate, but there may be some advantage to a container
that is not air tight so that if any deterioration by-products are floating
about they have somewhere to go.

When Scott speaks or writes about plastics he consistently emphasizes
temperature-if these are items that will be checked out to patrons who might
leave them in their cars on a sunny day....you might want to consider a
paper/board storage container instead! Paper/board container might also
serve as a small barrier between the tape and ultra-violet rays!

All of that said-the polypropylene containers are darn durable-and you can
see titles through the clear plastic!  Good luck!

Meg Brown
Conservator
University of Kansas Libraries
Watson Library