[PADG:1367] ONCE & FUTURE MICROFILM, NEWSPAPERS & DOUBLE FOLD

ONCE & FUTURE MICROFILM, NEWSPAPERS & DOUBLE FOLD

ALCTS/PARS Reformatting (Analog/Digital) Discussion Group on Sunday, June 17th, from 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the Pan-Pacific Hotel, Olympic A.

This will be a two -part Discussion Group

Part 1.  CONTINUOUS TONES & COLORS.  Rumors of the demise of microfilm are exaggerated.  In reality, its future couldn't look more photogenic or rosier.  After a few concluding introductory remarks gleaned from the vast universe of print we are trying to preserve, I'll be talking about the National Library of Medicine's use of continuous tone and color microfilm.  With Carmen Howard (Preservation Resources) on hand to assist with questions, I will discuss NLM's selection criteria, filming specifications and quality control.

Part 2.  ONCE FOLDED, TWICE FOOLED?  Rumors of the wholesale discarding of newspapers that have been microfilmed are likewise exaggerated.  Bob Dowd (New York State Newspaper Project) will be on hand to say a few words about how filming work is going in the Empire State, with emphasis on the condition of materials being filmed and the disposition of issues after filming.  Following Bob's comments, there will be open discussion of Nicholson Baker's "Double Fold."

For additional information contact:
Walter Cybulski, Moderator
walter_cybulski@xxxxxxxxxxx