From: Lorraine Olley [mailto:l-olley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2001 12:23 PM
To: padg@xxxxxxx
Subject: [PADG:1345] Re: [Joy Paulson <jp243@xxxxxxxxxxx>: Cost-share
Question]

At 11:40 AM 05/29/2001 -0400, Janet Gertz wrote:
>Joy --
>
>If I recall correctly, NEH allowed minor repair as a cost share
>specifically on the books being filmed, either to get them into good
>enough shape to be filmed or else to repair any damage caused by
>filming.  Is the idea with deacidification that a library would film
>and then deacidify the book?  Or, would the library decide to film OR
>deacidify a book?
>
>Janet
>                 ---------------

My reading of the NEH guidelines for cost-sharing minor repairs is that it
includes volumes that are not being filmed, but are part of the target
collection.  See this from the guidelines:

"As part of a project focusing on the preservation microfilming of
published materials, an institution may include simple repair, rehousing,
or reboxing of items that have been filmed (when such action is deemed
appropriate to the nature of the materials or needs of researchers) or of
volumes from the targeted collection that do not qualify for filming
because of their condition."

So it looks like there's a precedent for deacidifying an item that may not
be selected for microfilming.

Lorraine Olley
Head, Preservation Department
Northwestern University Library