[PADG:1305] FW: Re: ILL Stickers

Paul, et.al. -- Please share any information you find. I've been fighting
against the use of these labels since the fall. I did a little research and
didn't find out too much from the product information rep. I spoke to, but
she did say that the labels were untested on bookbindings and although heat
resistant, the adhesive may bond with the surface in direct sunlight. Also,
she said it may leave a residue on high gloss papers. She said the adhesive
composition is proprietary and cannot be shared.

The labels are made by a subsidiary of Avery, called Fasson, and you can
check their adhesive information (such as it is) at:
http://apps.fasson.com/TrainingGuide/05.asp and there find "Section: 05.0:
Adhesives." Here they state that it's possible that, "some removable
adhesives may initially, or over time become permanent..." and at:
http://apps.fasson.com/TrainingGuide/1110.asp they say that, "Although paper
technology has been around for centuries, pressure-sensitive adhesive
technology has not existed long enough to confirm that any such adhesives
can be considered archival, by definition."

I emailed with Michele Youket, in the testing div. at LC, about a year ago
and she said that they hadn't done any testing on this particular product. I
couldn't find anyone that had done any testing on them. At the very least, I
think their use should be suspended until testing HAS been done by a trusted
party. Even though these labels are sold as "removable," it is the nature of
adhesives to stick...  --Paula