[PADG:1304] Re: ILL Stickers

As Lorraine pointed out, the stickers can be used safely if they're not
applied directly to books.  Our ILL department uses the ILLiad system but
staff put the stickers on paper sleeves for books we borrow from other
libraries. For lending, staff redesigned the label to accommodate more
information and print on plain paper (instead of stickers).

When ILL books are returned to us with a sticker, staff notify a supervisor
who in turn calls or writes to the borrowing library.  Our ILL librarian tells
me that libraries have generally been cooperative when she contacts them and
it is now relatively rare that our books come back with a sticker applied
directly to the cover.  She also noted that this issue has come up a couple
times on ILL discussion lists and there is growing awareness that stickers are
not acceptable to many lenders.  Still, we receive books on loan from a number
of libraries who use the stickers on their own materials.

Staff in our ILL and Preservation departments have noted that the stickers are
particularly damaging to decorated cloth bindings.  The stickers have also
been known to pull off labels and damage the surface of pamphlet binders and
other bindings that have bare boards.

I like Paul's suggestion to write a letter from PARS to the people managing
ILLiad.  Some communication with the ILL folks at ALA might also be useful.
Perhaps this is something either the PARS Management Committee or Education
Committee could work on in preparation for ALA Annual in San Francisco so the
letter could go forward during the conference.

Andy.
 Andrew Hart, Preservation Librarian
 CB#3918, Davis Library
 Chapel Hill, NC 27514