[PADG:1200] Re: Queuing digital collections

> Dear Folks: I am working on a digital project that intends to digitize 1000
> monographs.  In discussing this project with Cataloging, I was asked if
> there were other ways to let the preservation community know of our
> intentions to digitize this material instead of title by title queuing.  At
> my library all cataloging is done on the local system and upload to the
> utilities as a single step.  Queuing (RLIN) or Prospective Cataloging
> (OCLC) requires two separate steps - one at the beginning and one at the
> end of the project.  This is costly and labor intense.  Has anyone come up
> with a less complicated system?   Is there a single web site being used to
> announce intentions to digitize a collection?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Joan Gatewood
> University of Michigan Library
> Preservation Division
> joangate@xxxxxxxxx

I think it is important to note decisions like this in RLIN/OCLC where
they are in a context where people can also see whether preservation
microfilm already exists, how many libraries own the title, etc.  It's
all part of the decision-making process.

Does your library plan to catalog the digitized titles into RLIN or
OCLC eventually anyway?  It is a cost, but we've been doing it with
microfilm for years.

Janet Gertz
Director for Preservation
Columbia University Libraries