[PADG:1190] Re:Date due slips/use of free flies on paperbacks

Christine,

We use loose slips of paper as date-due reminders--they are about the size
of bookmarks and get slipped inside the book at checkout. It does mean the
patron has to take some responsibility for keeping the slip with the correct
book, but since many are used as bookmarks, it hasn't been a problem.
Additionally, patrons can look up their record and see what they have
checked out and when it's due.

Slips are stamped up in advance every day using a regular date stamp, so
there is a stash for the clerks at the desk. We use two different colors to
indicate the different loan periods (undergrads get blue slips, faculty &
grad students get pink ones. Since they are just blank sheets of paper, we
pay to get them cut to size but don't pay for any imprinting. Very cheap and
quite effective, plus no stamping of the book required.

Normandy Helmer
Coordinator of Preservation & Digital Services/
Oregon Newspaper Project
University of Oregon Library
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1299