[PADG:1167] Query: Preservation Planning Document

We are preparing to develop a written preservation policy and plan for our institution--a state archives housing public records from 1671 to the present.  We "govern" the complete life cycle of records under a Public Records Act, scheduling "all" public records for final disposition.  Our department includes records management, the records storage center, a microfilming operation, a microfilm processing and quality control lab, the storage vault for permanent and long term storage of master negatives, and the archival repository, which provides reference to accessioned archival records.  We have in our collection records on a wide variety of media:  parchment, all types of paper, film, magnetic, and optical disc (even a tree stump).

If your institution has developed a written preservation plan for its archival collections, would you please respond.  I'd like to get a copy of your plan -- or at least correspond with you regarding the concerns you addressed in your document.  Anyone with work in progress is also invited to contact me privately.  Thanks.

Please note:  I am cross-posting this with the Conservation Distlist, so excuse the duplication.

Patricia Morris
Head, Collections Management
South Carolina Department of Archives and History
morris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx