[PADG:1161] Changes at the ALCTS Office

A couple of things occurred right before and during ALA
Midwinter that will bring changes to the ALCTS Office.

First, Karen Muller, the ALCTS Executive Director, resigned
to take a new position as the ALA Librarian and Knowledge
Manager.  She will be leaving ALCTS on March 5th, 2001.

We have been partnered with LAMA for sometime, and we
share all our office staff with them, including the Executive
Director.  From the ALCTS point of view and that of Karen Muller,
this had been a very successful partnership.  However, at Midwinter,
LAMA decided that they wanted "to go it alone", in effect asking
for a divorce from ALCTS.

The ALCTS Board of Directors did speak with other ALA Divisions
to see if anyone was interested in partnering with us.  Sharing
staff not only has been cost effective, but has allowed staff to
specialize and develop expertise in specific areas.  Unfortunately,
we were not able to find anyone who was willing to partner with
us.

The ALCTS Board examined several staffing scenarios and has asked
the ALCTS Executive Committee to move forward with one that will
provide a good level of staff who can provide more services to ALCTS
at a relatively reasonable increase in cost.  We hope that there will
be a focus on providing continuing education opportunities to ALCTS
members over the next few years.  While the increase in costs will
force us to make use of some of our surplus, we are confident that
the budget will be back in balance by 2003.  The Executive Committee
will move forward with posting the Executive Director position in
the near future, and we hope to have a new Executive Director around the
start of the next fiscal year (July 1, 2001).  We also hope that some of the
staff at the LAMA/ALCTS office will continue with ALCTS.

Further information will be shared as it becomes available.

Joy Paulson
PARS Chair