[PADG:1121] Digitization Activities Affecting Preservation Operations

Folks,

If these questions have been asked and answered, please point me to the
archives of this list.

I want to know how digitization activities, when they become part of or are
closely allied with a Library's preservation operations, have affected
those operations.  I'm not much interested in the funding aspect as in the
staffing one.

If digitization units are now part of your operations, did you gain new
staff or were positions cannibalized from other preservation units?  Are
staff cross-trained to do digitization and other traditional preservation
activities?

Has the flow of material for digitization also passed through the hands of
other preservation staff, either before or after digitization?

I am particularly interested in the impact digitization may be having on
special and general collections conservation staff.  Are they called to
repair material after  digitization?  Are they asked to chop the backs off
books so that they can be more easily scanned?

What happens to the books that may be getting chopped?  Is anyone
microfilming them as well?  Or photocopying them?  Or sending them out for
rebinding?

I am seeking information about this for strategic planning purposes.  Thank
you.

Robert
Robert J. Milevski
Preservation Librarian