below:

ALA/ALCTS/PARS Discussion Group: Preservation Issues in Small to
Mid-Sized Libraries
Sunday, July 9, 2000

Contracting Collections Conservation:

	In this discussion, we dealt with three aspects of contracting
for general collections preservation treatments:

1.  	"What are the collections conservation treatments that we would
like to outsource?"

2.	"Who are the vendors for such treatments?  Are such treatments
profitable?"

3.	"What will our contracts or work statements say?"

	Discussion of the first issue, "What are the collections
conservation treatments that we would like to outsource?" was
facilitated by Widener Library Collections Conservator, Ethel Hellman.
Ethel led brainstorming to list all possible preservation activities
that anyone might want to outsource related to general collections.  On
this list, contracted activities ranged from every kind of preservation
treatment and training for such, to surveys, lab design, specifications
for supplies, disaster salvage, environmental monitoring, and
preparation for reformatting.  Thinking "outside the box," the group
even envisioned a mobile conservation lab in a trailer that could
travel from one institutional client to another, staying as long as
conservation services were needed.

	Jill Rawnsley, Preservation Services Office, Conservation
Center for Art and Historic Artifacts (CCAHA), facilitated discussion
of our second topic, "Who are the vendors for such treatments?  Are
such treatments profitable?"  In leading this discussion, Jill pointed
out that regional non-profit conservation centers have offered most of
the services on the list, but usually for special collections rather
than for general collections.  Models currently exist for contracted
on-site training and as well as for repairs.  Classes on book repair
are most popular, but of questionable effectiveness without ongoing
oversight by a professional conservator.

	Brian Baird, Head of Preservation at the University of Kansas,
described an unusual situation where his institution, having the only
conservation lab in the state, if not the region, offers contracted
conservation treatments to other libraries and archives.  Most of those
institutions, however, have contracted for special, rather than
general, collections treatments.

	Disaster salvage is another type of treatment frequently
contracted.  Besides the obvious need to contract for large salvage and
vacuum freeze drying projects, insurance may cover costs for contracted
treatments, but not the cost of in-house treatments.  Moreover, one
disaster salvage treatment, mold removal, is a service readily
available at the regional centers, such as the Conservation Center for
Art and Historic Artifacts.

	To make general collections treatment affordable, vendors
recommended that institutions contract out quicker treatments and use
treatment procedures for documentation rather than requiring elaborate
reports and photographs.  Such vendors as Bridgeport National Bindery
charge by the hour rather than by types of treatments.  Ralph Ocker,
speaking for Ocker & Trapp Library Bindery, advised clients to consider
the staff costs required for preparing bindery slips and packing items
for shipping.  Ocker & Trapp does, however, offer hand binding
services.

	To maximize efficiency and cost saving for clients, Ethel
Hellman advised vendors to simplify their workflow and their stock of
supplies.  For instance, vendors might limit the choices of cloths
offered for recases and enclosures.

	Discussion of our third issue, "What will our contracts or work
statements say?" was facilitated by Karen Sinkule, in charge of
Microfilming Books and Serials, and Preservation of Audiovisuals,
Preservation and Collection Management Section, National Library of
Medicine (NLM).  Karen led the group first in identifying elements of a
"statement of work" or contract.  These included a description of the
work, its quantity, the range and nature of materials, procedures,
relevant standards, turn around times and delivery schedules, insurance
and security offsite and in transit, cost, quality control -- who
performs it and what are the criteria for it, and the consequences of
failure to perform.

	Karen then facilitated a prioritization of the treatments that
we had identified in the brainstorming session.  As its first priority,
the group selected the general category of treatments for damaged
collections.  Condition surveys were ranked second, and training for
book repair was ranked as the third priority.  Then we identified work
statement wording specifically related to each of the three priorities.
For example, a work statement on conservation treatments should include
description of work, material specifications, technical and performance
specifications for each type of treatment, work requirements and work
relationships between client and vendor, how and when to apply sets of
specifications, requirements for a sample set or pilot project during
the bid process, and a decision tree.  Costs may be defined by a flat
rate for a well defined product or an hourly rate.

	A service contract, related to surveys and training, would have
a more general statement of work compared to the specifications of a
treatment work statement.  Requirements for references and samples
should be included in a service contract.

	Karen warned that to run a contract well, one must learn as
much about the contracted activity as one would to do it oneself.  Time
and expertise are needed to evaluate the quality of a contract
proposal.  The client also needs to beware of vendors who underbid.
That may well be a sign that the vendor does not understand the project
or will inappropriately assign technicians instead of professional
conservators to the project.  Once a vendor is selected, we were
advised to give generous attention to quality control at the beginning
of the project to set standards for the whole project.

	In summary, we found some answers to our three questions.
Those present were most interested in outsourcing treatments for
damaged collections, condition surveys, and training for book repair.
Regarding the availability of such services, the participating vendors
did more or less offer the services we wanted.  Conservation centers
and commercial library binderies do offer some general collections
conservation, and the centers also offer conservation surveys as well
as training for in-house book repair.  Yet it became apparent that the
profitability of collections conservation is elusive.  The work either
has to be very routinized for an assembly line approach, or the
customer has to trust the vendor to make the treatment decisions, or
both.  Then there is the issue of cost effectiveness for the customer
who can treat items for less cost in-house, but only if it is possible
to set up an in-house lab with trained staff.  As Karen Sinkule
testified, one can contract for anything, but it takes funding.

Yvonne Carignan
Preservation Department Head
McKeldin Library
University of Maryland