[PADG:1045] Re: binding contracts

Becky,
Thank you for raising this topic.  I have been working on the RFP for
commercial binding and have been using the new standard.  The Procurement
Office and I worked together on the RFP because so many aspects of it, like
insurance and security, are driven by state regulations. I  included
sections on replacing damaged books and state-mandated Insurance
requirements from VCU's RFP.  I will post the RFP on CoOL when it is
finalized.  The sections on products/quality changed the most and gave me
the most trouble.

[regarding replacement of books]
(b) Replacement:.  The Contractor should credit VCU with the total
replacement cost for a volume lost or irreparably damaged by the
Contractor.  The total replacement cost should be determined by:  (1) the
actual price paid by VCU for a replacement volume, or the appraised value
of an irreplaceable volume, plus; (2) the processing fee for the searching,
acquisition, cataloging, and binding of the volume.  VCU will annually
determine the processing fee per volume and notify the Contractor in
advance.  For the initial contract period, the processing fee will be
$35.00.  Requests for credit should be documented in writing (i.e. a credit
memo).  A credit memo should be received by VCU within four (4) weeks of
request.

n.b. the general amount we charge for a lost/damaged book no longer in
print is $75

[regarding Insurance for people/products]
	10.	INSURANCE:  By signing and submitting a proposal under this
solicitation, the Offeror certifies that if awarded the contract, it will
have the following insurance coverages at the time the contract is awarded.
 For construction contracts, if any subcontractors are involved, the
subcontractor will have workers' compensation insurance in accordance with
Sections 11-46.3 and 65-800 et seq. of the Code of Virginia.

		The Offeror further certifies that the Contractor and any subcontractors
will maintain these insurance coverages during the entire term of the
contract and that all insurance coverages will be provided by insurance
companies authorized to sell insurance in Virginia by the Vir-ginia State
Corporation Commission.

		INSURANCE COVERAGES AND LIMITS REQUIRED:

		1.	Worker's Compensation - Statutory requirements and benefits.

		2.	Employers Liability - $100,000.

		3.	Commercial General Liability - $500,000 combined single limit.  The
Commonwealth of Virginia is to be named as an additional insured with
respect to the services being procured.  This coverage is to include
Premises/Operation Liability, Products and Completed Operations Coverage,
Independent Contractor's Liability, Owner's and Contractor's Protective
Liability and Personal Injury Liability.

		4.	Automobile Liability - $500,000.

Cheers to all,
Patricia

At 05:48 PM 7/28/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>	Has anyone used the new ANSI/NISO standard for Library Binding as the
>basis for an RFP for commercial binding services?  If so, can you offer any
>general or specific comments about using this source as a reference tool
>instead of the LBI standard, 8th?
>
>	Also, I am interested in what requirements you stipulate for insurance and
>security.  Before writing binding RFPs in the past, I studied RFPs and
>contracts documents from benchmark institutions.  I observed a "marked
>similarity" in the language about insurance coverage.  I also observed
>"wide disparity" in the monetary values associated with the insurance and
>security coverage.  How do you develop your insurance and security
>criteria?   What monetary value(s) do you assign to the level of security
>and insurance that your require?  Our Risk Management Office has some
>strong opinions about this.  I am not entirely in agreement with their
>opinions.   I would like to demonstrate some other approaches.
>
>	I appreciate any comments on or off the PADG listserv.  Many thanks.
>

>    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
>Becky Ryder
>Preservation Librarian
>William T. Young Library
>University of Kentucky
>Lexington, KY  40506-0456
>email:  rjryde01@xxxxxxxxxxx
>phone:  606-257-0500, ext. 2028
>fax:  606-257-0504

Patricia Palmer	Selinger		phone: 804.828.2287
Head, Preservation Services		fax:   804.828.1051
Virginia Commonwealth University
Box 842033				email: pepalmer@xxxxxxx
Richmond, VA  23284-2033		smoke signal: 0 oo 000 o0o0