ALA/ALCTS/PARS
ALA Midwinter Meeting, Chicago, IL
Contracting Collections Conservation
Sunday, July 9, 2000
4:30 - 6:30
Location: Marriott Downtown
Room: Ohio-Northwestern

Co-Chair: Patricia Palmer
Co-Chair: Yvonne Carignan

Program Description

Contracts and work statements for preservation activities insure
professional standards, document obligations between service provider
and custodians, provide legal protection for both parties, and are
sound business practice.  Models of contracts exist for library
binding, preservation microfilming, special collections conservation,
and mass deacidification.  But what about contracting for GENERAL
COLLECTIONS preservation treatment?  Can an effective work statement be
created to capture treatments that are both conservationally sound and
cost effective for general collections?  What treatments might we like
to have for deteriorated books from our general collections?  Are any
vendors interested in contracting to treat general collections for a
cost that libraries can afford?

In this session, we will explore issues related to outsourcing
collections conservation and consider what belongs in a collections
conservation work statement.  Our discussion will be guided by a panel
that includes collections conservators, preservation administrators,
vendors, and consultants who are experienced in various aspects of
contracting collections conservation.

We will be meeting on Sunday, July 9, from 4:30 to 6:30 in the
Marriott Downtown Hotel, in the Ohio-Northwestern Room.

Please feel free to contact us by phone or email for further
information.  (Yvonne at (301) 405-9343/yc38@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Patricia at
(804) 828-2287/pepalmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yvonne Carignan
Preservation Department Head