[PADG:932] Pre-stamped Call Numbers

I recently took over supervision of the library's periodical-binding
operations and have been looking for ways to improve efficiency. One of the
possibilities I have identified is the adoption of some form of pre-stamped
call number. (This can be done by our binder at no additional cost.)
Currently, we produce and apply our own call-number labels, which is a very
time-consuming process. (The labels themselves also require a great deal of
maintenance.)

Before I run off and institute a dramatic change, however, I want to find
out how other libraries have dealt with this issue. In short, I'm wondering
how many libraries out there make use of pre-stamped call numbers. I would
also be interested in hearing any strong opinions (either positive or
negative) on this subject.

Thank you,

Matthew D. Van Norman
CSUF Pollak Library