Re: insurance and assets

Dear Sarah:  May I also suggest the following resources regarding insurance
issues -

Brawner, L.B. "Insurance and Risk Management for Libraries." Public Library
Quarterly 13, no. 1 (1993): 5-16, and 13, no. 2 (1993): 29-34. Part I covers
the function of insurance and defines risk and insurance categories. Part II
is a discussion of supplemental coverages. Good starter articles.

Flitner, Arthur. "An Insurance Primer for the Local Historical
Organization". American Association for State and Local History (AASLH)
Technical Leaflet 147 (1983). Nashville, TN: AASLH.
Brief, helpful description of levels and types of insurance coverage for any
collecting institution. This and other excellent publications can be ordered
through their Web site, http://www.aaslh.org, by writing to 530 Church
Street, Suite 600, Nashville, TN 37219-2325, or tel. (615) 255-2971.

McGiffin, Gail E. "Sharing the Risk." History News 48, no. 1
(January/February 1993): 16-19.
This article uses case studies to describe the advantages of insurance
coverage to minimize the impact of disaster.

Smith, Scott. "Insurance Planning." History News 48, no. 1 (January/February
1993): 18-19, 37.
Common sense advice for working with an insurance provider.

I hope this is helpful.  Regards,  Karen