History of silver-based images?

I recall medieval alchemical usages that have resulted in preserved
silver-based images or
at least silver tracings which have endured for many hundreds of yrs. into
the present day.
Any info.?

I am writing a book on time capsule studies, and have current
preservational microfilming
silver film data.

Thank you.

---Will---
William E. Jarvis, MA, MLS
Librarian 3 ("Associate Professor" level)
Collection Services Librarian
{office: Old West Holland 361B}
Washington State University Libraries
PO Box 645610; Pullman, WA 99164-5610
VOX :509.335.2520; FAX:  509.335.6721(in  Lib. Admin. Office);<jarvis@xxxxxxx>

-"I have seen the Future, and it is expensive {Will  Jarvis, ca. 1988}."
-"A journey of a million steps usually gets off to a late start {Will
Jarvis, August 1999}."