TO: Library Preservation Administrators List: Invitation to a Smithsonian Oct.13-14, 1999 "Time in a Bottle" workshop on Time Capsules; and Schedule. Please forward this information to anyone who may be interested.

I will be a panelist at this interesting pre-Millennial event.
Please forward and cross-post.
Thx.

TIME IN A BOTTLE: Creating a Time Capsule Project
October 13 - 14, 1999
The Smithsonian Associates (TSA)
and Smithsonian Center for Material Research and Education (SCMRE)

CONTACT: Betsy Baird, Smithsonian Associates,(202) 357-3030,
Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m.-5 p.m. ET
 by fax & credit card use (202) 786-2034
 by mail, send to Betsy Adams Baird, The Smithsonian Associates, 1100
  Jefferson Drive, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20560-0701
email: <bairdbe@xxxxxxxxxx>

"Time in a Bottle"--Creating A Time Capsule Project, October 13 & 14, 1999,
Washington DC

The Smithsonian Associates invites you to participate in this
once-in-a-millennium opportunity to hear from the experts!   "Time in a
Bottle" Workshop will explore issues and considerations about designing a
time-capsule project--one that may be a new an exciting concept for your
organization.

As the millennium approaches, the opportunity to reflect, redefine and
preserve our identity is significant.  Corporations, municipalities,
universities and associations are seeking ways to preserve information,
documents and artifacts that will inform future generations about our times.

Workshop Topics include:
* What information/artifacts will tell our story?
* When will the capsule be opened?
* What materials will survive time?
* How should they be housed?
* Where should the capsule be located?

The workshop builds on the work of the conservation analytical lab at the
Smithsonian Center for Materials Research and Education, which deals with
issues of preservation every day and whose work is solely dedicated to
preserving the objects we value most-from astronauts' space gloves to the
Star Spangled Banner.

Workshop faculty includes:
* Senior paper conservator
* Research chemist
* Senior furniture conservator, the
* Director of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
* Conservation scientist from a Smithsonian museum
* Co-founder of the International Time Capsule Society and the director of
the New York Times "Times Capsule" project

The workshop is scheduled for October 13-14, 1999 in Washington, DC and the
registration fee of $675 includes:
* Behind-the-scenes look at Smithsonian conservation efforts
* Reception for participants and presenters
* Evening program featuring Gregory Benford, professor of physics and
author of  "Deep Time: How Humanity Communicates Across Millennia"
* Transportation between the conference hotel and the workshop site
* Lunch, and all workshop materials, including a small prototype time
capsule

Take advantage of this unique opportunity to learn how to develop a
high-quality time capsule for the millennium!  Space is limited.  Reserve
your place and find out more about this exciting Workshop at
www.si.edu/tsa/national-outreach/timecapsules.htm or call Betsy Baird at
(202) 786-3286, email: <bairdbe@xxxxxxxxxx>

"Time in a Bottle"--Creating A Time Capsule Project
 October 13 & 14, 1999, Washington DC

SCHEDULE

Wednesday, October 13, 1999
2:30 p.m.	Transfer from Doyle Washington to Smithsonian
3 p.m.		Behind-the-scenes VIP tours of museum conservation efforts
4:30 p.m.	Reception
6:00 p.m.	Evening program featuring Gregory Benford, author of Deep Time
8 p.m.		Dinner on your own

Thursday, October 14, 1999
8:15 a.m. 	Transfer by bus to Smithsonian Center for Materials Research and
Education
9 a.m.		Welcome and introduction to the time capsule website
9:15 a.m.	History of Time Capsules and the Crypt of Civilization
		Paul Hudson, International Time capsule Society
10:15 a.m.	Break
10:30 a.m.	Panel: Project Considerations
		The New York Times Magazine and the Design of Time Capsule Projects
		Stephen Mihm, New York Times Magazine
		Archival Considerations: Defining the purpose of a time capsule
Edie Hedlin, Smithsonian Archives
Geological Considerations: Selecting sites for time capsules
Janet Douglas, Freer/Sackler
Scientific Considerations: Selecting materials for time capsules
Mary Baker, SCMRE
Preservation Considerations: Selecting housings for time capsules
Don Williams and Dianne van der Reyden, SCMRE
12:30 p.m.	Lunch
1:45 p.m.	Small group activities: participants divided into groups
	Tour: Saving the Nation's Treasures
Behind-the-scenes at the Smithsonian, participants see state-of-the-art
facilities for identification and long-term preservation of historical
materials.  Participants learn how the Smithsonian selects the best
materials, sites, housings and containers for preservation of collections
for future generations.
Hands-on Workshop: Saving your Treasures: Making a Simple Time Capsule
Participants assemble a small prototype "time capsule" (using common,
ready-made materials supplied by the Smithsonian) in order to experience
first-hand the steps involved in a time capsule project.  Participants
define the purpose of the prototype capsule; select the contents,
containers, and housing; compile and seal the capsule; evaluate storage
sites; and document and register the capsule.  The take-home capsule can be
used to illustrate to colleagues the principles that must be considered
when formulating a corporate time capsule project.
Mary Baker, Don Williams and Dianne van der Reyden
5 p.m.		Closing, Bus transportation to hotel/Reagan National Airport

---Will---

William E. Jarvis, MA, MLS
Librarian 3 ("Associate Professor" level)
Collection Services Librarian
{office: Old West Holland 361B}
Washington State University Libraries
PO Box 645610
Pullman, WA 99164-5610
VOX :509.335.2520
FAX:  509.335.6721(in  Lib. Admin. Office)
<jarvis@xxxxxxx>