Web Site Capture, Anyone?

Colleagues,

I would like to know if any of your institutions are currently engaged in
capturing Web sites and writing them to CD (as opposed to printing them on
paper), as part of your overall collection development policy.

If so,
- were preservation staff involved in the decision to do so?
- was an organized approach undertaken to reach the decision, and if so,
can you briefly describe it?
- which Web capturing software is your institution using?
- have you incorporated the maintenance of this data in your intitutions
preservation planning/policy documents?
- are the Web sites being cataloged, and if so, using which (I presume
draft) guidelines?
- how are you providing access to potential users?

If your institution is contemplating Web site capture, but has not begun to
do so, I would also be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,

Cathy Aster
Head of Preservation Services
Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305
phone: (650) 723-2132
fax: (650) 723-9852