Re: Microfilm processing and printing program

I'd be very interested in seeing a copy of the Access database you're using.  We're also using Access.

lu harper
Brittle Books Coordinator
University of Rochester Libraries
Rochester, NY 14627
luh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(716) 275-9291

>>> rdecandido <rdecandido@xxxxxxxx> 04/05 2:06 PM >>>
     Last fall Joan Gatewood, head of NYPL's Reformatting Office, asked me
     to develop a database that would be used in processing microfilm.
     Knowing that Columbia University had been using a Microsoft Access
     database to do such things I contacted them to see if I could get a
     sample. David Lowell and Lars Meyer were more than happy to give me
     copies of the files first developed by Judith Panitch and Robin Dale
     when they were working for CU and which CU was still using.

     After looking at these I realized that NYPL's methods and practices
     were different enough that I would have to start from scratch. I did,
     however, learn a great deal from these two files that was later
     helpful in my own work.

     The system I ended up creating also uses MS Access. We have been using
     it since the beginning of the year. So far it's been used to process
     185 titles comprising 2536 volumes at an estimated frame count of
     223,620.

     It prints 11 different types of targets, box labels for 3 generations
     and carrier sheets. It is adapted to the idiosyncracies of NYPL but in
     the hope that it might be as helpful to other folks as the work of
     Judy and Robin was to me I'd be happy to share it with anyone who is
     interested. Just send me an email and sent it back with an attachment.
     It's not a big file--the above records only amount to about .5 Mgb.
     All you need to run it is MS Access 97.

     Robert DeCandido
     Preservation Division
     NYPL