Sprink-Off System

We recently had fire sprinklers installed in our main library. While I was
talking to the foreman about the likelihood of sprinklers going off
accidentally, he suggested that I contact:

Starfire, Inc
3550 S. Iowa Ave
St Francis, WI 53235
Ph: 414/483-5959

This company sells a device called "Sprink-Off." It's a set of metal wedges
that can be inserted into a sprinkler head if it trips accidentally. (The
wedge takes the place of the fluid-filled glass that bursts when the sprinkler
is triggered.)  Each brand/model of head requires a different wedge; also
important is whether the head is recessed or not. We ended up with four
different wedges.

We bought two sets: one for our disaster supply closet, one for the building
supervisor. I haven't had the misfortune to use ours, but the idea behind them
looks sound.

Winston Atkins
Preservation Librarian
NCSU Libraries