RE: microfiche envelopes

Yep, sticking ("blocking") microfiche is a problem elsewhere.  - It has been
here in the humid north Florida.
The problem could be the more problematic should microfiche collections be
caught in a disaster where scant building humidity controls go out or
collections are damaged by water.  Such a situation arose here recently when
a pipe, broken in the night, flooded a floor above our main collection,
saturating ceiling tiles and eventually flooding microfiche cabinets below.

Microfiche collections are acquired, more frequently than not, from
micropublishers in large number without envelopes.  We **try** to acquire a
sufficient number of envelopes for each purchase.  But, the cost of these
purchases and the labor involved is often hidden from selectors/collection
managers.  (...reminds me to post an internal reminder).  As a community, we
might do more to encourage micropublishers to look at the situation.

>From a public service manager's perspective, in holding locations stuffed to
the gills, the addition of microfiche envelopes, one per fiche, may not be a
tenable solution.  It is not here.  A reasonably acceptable solution has
been place several fiche in a single envelop separated by a sheet of paper
cut to size and meeting the ANSI Standard IT9.2's Photographic Activity
Test.  This method reduces bulk slightly and requires some vigilance at the
point of refilling, but is only the best-of-poor-choices.

Even if you JUST buy envelopes to meet ANSI IT9.11's storage spec., the
supplier or manufacturer should certify that the envelopes meet IT9.2's
Photographic Activity Test.  Adhesives used in envelope making can be
problematic and in some cases worse than the problem they prevent.

Erich Kesse,
University of Florida