Preservation of sheet music

	We are in the process of reorganizing and preserving the collection in the
Music Library here at SMSU.  One concern is the loose sheet music and the
paperback, single-signature music collections (less than 50 pages) that
receive heavy usage by the music students.  Most of these pieces are
already loose from their paper cover, some are stapled along the fold and
some are just loose sheets.  In the general collection, most of these items
would be sewn into a pamphlet binder with staples removed.  However, is
this really the best option for heavy-use items?  We normally wouldn't bind
something like this, plus I am concerned about the flexibilty needed to use
this music.  How are these items handled at other libraries?
	On a similar note: we always sew our pamphlets onto a strip of material
that is then PVA glued into the binder.  Does anyone still use the
pre-glued strips in the binders to glue in the pamphlets?  We still own
some, but we had stopped using them years ago.  What are the adverse
affects of these, besides reversability problems?  Has anyone noticed
breakage along the glued edge if an item becomes brittle?  Any info will
help!  Thanks.

	Angie Piercy
	Library Associate - Acquisitions
	Preservation Unit