Re: laptop computer for coll

Mail*Link® SMTP               RE>laptop computer for collections inventory

I do not know if it will be true for you at ISU, but here at KU, when we did our condition survey we found it was better to put the items you plan to survey on a truck and wheel them to your regular work area.  We did use laptops in the branches, but it was not as easy or as quick as with your regular computer.

Just a thought.

Brian Baird

/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\
Brian J. Baird
Preservation Librarian
University of Kansas
502 Watson Library
Lawrence, KS 66045-2800
(785) 864-3568
fax: (785) 864-5311
bbaird@xxxxxxxxx

>>> Louise Zipp <LZIPP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 10/05 4:33 PM >>>
At the Iowa State University Library, we are planning to obtain a collections inventory program and initiate systematic inventorying of the circulating collection for use in long-term preservation planning. We are starting to look at laptop computers to use in this process. Can anyone recommend particular models or characteristics of laptop models that would be best for this purpose? Thanks for your assistance.

Louise S. Zipp
Preservation Reformatting Librarian
Iowa State University
204 Parks