Re: Discussion Group Merger: PCWI and PEO

Perhaps a clarification of the PEODG title to something like Public
Relations and Education would help. I think "outreach" is too vague and
imprecise.

Public relations could also include fundraising and "friends" programs, as
a successful outreach or public relations program should result in
addition financial and volunteer support. Would the PEODG consider
refining its charge?

Irene

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Verheyen, Peter wrote:

> > At the past annual meeting in Washington the issue of merging these two
> > DGs,
> > or disbanding the PEODG was raised, primarily by members of the PEODG.
> > Reasons for this were the large degree of overlap on a macro-level between
> >
> > the two and poor attendance attributed in part to scheduling. While this
> > issue is being discussed by the chairs of the two groups, Christine
> > Wiseman
> > and Peter Verheyen, joint meetings will be held begining with midwinter in
> >
> > Philadelphia next year.
> >
> > The text of the charges of the two groups is provided for additional
> > information.
> >
> > Charges:
> > Preservation Course and Workshop Instructors DG:
> > *       To discuss and share information on formal preservation
> > instruction.
> >
> > Preservation Education and Outreach DG:
> > *       To provide a forum for discussion of preservation-related staff
> > and
> > user education and other outreach efforts; to share materials, strategies,
> >
> > and expertise in conducting preservation education and outreach efforts;
> > and
> > to foster development of new educational and promotional activities.
> >
> > We plan to discuss this potential merging at ALA in Phladelphia, but in
> > the
> > meantime we would like to solicit opinions and suggestions.  Many of you
> > out
> > there have been involved in ALA longer than us, and may be familiar with
> > the
> > history of these groups.
> >
> Peter Verheyen & Christine Wiseman
>
> > **********************************
> > Peter D. Verheyen
> > Archival Product Development Manager / Conservator
> > Gaylord Brothers
> > Box 4901
> > Syracuse, NY 13221
> > 315.457.5070, ext.203
> > 315.451.4760 <fax>
> > mailto:verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxx

Irene Schubert, Chief                   Telephone: (202) 707-5918
Preservation Reformatting Division            FAX: (202) 707-6449
Library of Congress, Washington, DC 20540    E-mail: isch@xxxxxxx

Usual disclaimers apply