Re: ON-DEMAND PRINTING OF OUT-OF-PRINT BOOKS

I contacted Lightning Print after coming across a similar article in
January.  Their salesperson indicated that their service would be most
appropriate for runs of 100-500 copies of a book, and that 25 copies was
their minimum.  I believe they have a website.

BookLab has begun processing some preservation photocopy orders on our
digital equipment.  Eventually we will phase out the copiers and move
everything to digital imaging/laser prints.  As you know, BookLab
specializes in replacement copies, so we are set up to do short runs of one
or more copies.

Andrea Bond
BookLab

>Dear Colleagues,
>
>Have any of you heard of this service, or used it???
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>ON-DEMAND PRINTING OF OUT-OF-PRINT BOOKS
>Lightning Print, a division of the Ingram book wholesaling company in La
>Vergne, Tenn., says that "books really never have to go out of print
>again."  Using IBM printing equipment and software, Lighning Print will,
>for $100-150, set the book up in a digital library, allowing booksellers to
>order one or more copies at costs expected to be in the range of $15-20 for
>a 300-page softcover book.  (New York Times 4 Jun 98)
>Paula De Stefano
>Head, Preservation Department
>New York University Libraries
>70 Washington Square South
>New York, NY 10012
>Voice:  212/998-2563
>Fax:    212/995-4583
>Email:  paula.destefano@xxxxxxx

Andrea Bond   *   BookLab, Inc.   *   andrea@xxxxxxxxxxx
512/837-0479  *   1606 Headway Circle, Ste. 100
fax 512/837-9794  *  Austin, TX 78754   *   800/224-1794
Web Site - http://www.booklab.com/