Re: ALA / ALCTS / PARS REFORMATTING DG

On 6/8, Walter CYBULSKI wrote: "Would it not be a useful exercise for all of
the various fragmented, Balkanized interest groups to work toward a
"harmonic convergence" rather than continue the pattern of redundant effort?

Yes Walter, there is a sanity clause. You may have noticed that the flyers
for the upcoming ALA/ALCTS/PARS preconference "The Transformation of
Recorded Sound in the Digital Age" identify SAA as a co-sponsor. The
upcoming preconference - long in the making - was specifically designed as
an outreach effort to repeat (albeit with a somewhat expanded focus and with
additional speakers) the 1997 SAA Annual audio preservation program in hopes
of reaching a broader audience, improving communications among professional
groups, and  lessening - to some extent - redundancy. Designed by the
members of the PARS/Photographic and Recording Media Committee, the
preconference is an attempt to work with other groups in designing special
interest programs that can be "taken on the road", i.e., a program at ALA
might easily be duplicated at another group*s annual meeting, a program
presented at AIC might easily come to ALA, etc. Hopefully the bigger
audience can be reached, notes compared, possible publications produced with
the assurance that all groups - if not converging harmonically - are at
least humming very similar variations of the same recognizable tune. For the
ALA preconference, in addition to SAA members, representatives from other
groups (ARSC, MLA) were also consulted prior to the expanding of the SAA
session agenda. Hopefully this sort of outreach effort  will continue and
programs with a special interest focus will be designed and "taken on the
road" in the very near future.

Richard Peek
Head, Preservation Dept.
University of Rochester Libraries