food and drink policies

At the beginning of the Fall 97 semester we adopted a new policy regarding
food and drink in our main library and our Undergraduate Library (the
policy is copied at the end of this message).  The Undergraduate Library
has a food lounge, primarily because it is open 24 hours and there are few
late night services available without walking across campus.   We made the
decision to allow drinks in covered containers partially to accommodate
popular demand and partially to make our policy more enforceable.  Public
service staff who are responsible for enforcement find they can do their
job more effectively if they can focus on serious violations rather than
the huge number of people who had been smuggling in something to drink.
We also hope carrying a travel mug out in the open is less likely to
result in damage than trying to hide the drink in a book bag along with
library materials.

Since the new policy went into effect a graduate student working in
Preservation has made periodic sweeps through the main library to count
how many people are eating or drinking.  This survey is done every three
weeks, on three separate days, and at times representing morning,
lunch-time, and late afternoon.  The count is compared to our daily door
count to see if the number of people eating is changing because there are
more people in the library or because overall enforcement is not working.
To date, the overwhelming majority of people are drinking from approved
containers and very few people are eating (although we have not evaluated
late night behavior).  An exhibit at the front exit with examples of what
is OK and what is not has been a great help for making our expectations
clear.

None of our special collections are housed in the buildings allowing
drinks in covered containers.  Wilson Library, which has our rare book and
manuscript collections, does not allow patrons to bring food or drink into
the building.

Our policy:

Food is not allowed in Davis Library or in any part of the House
Undergraduate Library except the Food Lounge.  Patrons are allowed to
consume beverages from reclosable plastic containers, reclosable bottles,
and travel mugs in both Davis and UL except in the following locations:

    Davis Library

       Computer Lab (unless policy is changed by ATN)
       Microforms Collection
       Electronic Information Service
       U-Search
       Online catalog area or on any surface that also houses a computer
	 or other AV equipment

     House Undergraduate Library

        Computer Lab (unless policy is changed by ATN)
        Nonprint Collection
        Parents Room and Room 211
        Online catalog area, microcomputer cluster, or any surface that
	  also houses a computer or other AV equipment

Beverages in the containers listed above are allowed in all other areas.
Canned beverages and drinks in paper cups are not allowed.

I was not very happy about caving in to the popularity of beverages in the
library, but I have found that -- so far -- the policy is not a problem.
We have not seen more damaged materials, staff are more comfortable with
enforcement, and pest control is actually better since we made changes in
housekeeping for the staff lounge.  At this point I am more concerned
about staff eating and drinking carelessly at their desks than I am about
the public.

Andy.

 Andrew Hart, Preservation Librarian
 CB#3918, Davis Library