Maps processing

In reexamining how we process maps, we now face two issues that I would like
some advice on.

1: Security: Our maps were moved to the public services/reference area of the
main floor, but they are in an area that is both self-service and out of
sightline from the reference desk (and will not be moved in the foreseeable
future). The maps processors used to put security strips on the versos of the
maps in the middle of the image, feeling that we needed some sort of security
and that to put the strip on the border was no deterence. Any other
suggestions for how to enhance this collection's security?

2: Processing: Our acquisitions system relies on barcodes to track purchases
and gifts through processing and into the collection. Who else is using
barcodes, or has rejected them, for processing? For those who use barcodes,
are you adhering them to the sheets or do they travel along with the item
somehow? Any problems?

Thanks for your assistance,
Winston
Winston Atkins