CD transit protection

Dear colleagues:

Here in Ohio we are about to embark on some significantly increased
interlibrary lending of audio-visual materials through the OhioLINK
interlibrary borrowing system.

My concern at this time is with Compact Disks (primarily music), and
eventually stand-alone CD-ROM products.

In order to prepare for this certainty of compact disks being loaned all
over the state in large numbers, I want to pursue with you your thoughts
about packaging of CDs and CD-ROM disks (presumably in their jewel boxes).

At this time, we are pursuing what we call "CD Transit Cases" with our
library bindery.  At first, at least, these will be made for use *on campus*
to protect CDs as they are handled, returned and moved about the library
system.

I'm certain we could have our binder or other binders fabricate large
numbers of very sturdy and serviceable packages.  Most of us are aware, for
example, of Acme Bookbinding's very sturdy and serviceable A-V cases.

The down side to their high quality and durability is their relatively high
unit price.

However ... I am wondering if others of you have any suggestions for the
*mass- production* (that's spelled c-h-e-a-p) protective transit cases for
CDs or for any A-V material in use in interloan.

Any ideas of companies that specialize in fabricating molded plastic mailers
or making use of other creative ideas?  Do you know of anyone else that has
pursued the issue?

If you do, feel free to post your response on this list, or directly to me
(boomgaarden.1@xxxxxxx).

Thank you once again.

Wes
Wesley L. Boomgaarden