Re: Digital imaging service bureau

Lorraine, I'm curious as to why you've chosen to use a vendor. Now that
there's a wonderful face-up scanner available, I see great possibilities
of digitizing special collections material in-house.  While we will still
have the usual preservation concerns, we are going to be able to
efficiently and safely handle a great variety of stuff without sending it
out of the building.  In fact, the digitizing will be the easiest part of
the project.  The tough stuff is the encoding, access, and whatever
intellectual framework we want to provide.  OTOH, we do not necessarily do
what others do.  We continue to do preservation microfilming
in-house as well as send stuff to the SOLINET project.

Our Documenting the American South project has been very successful, and
we hope in the next year or two to become more active in the national
dialog on the intellectual and management aspects of such projects.  They
are fascinating!

Good luck in your endeavors; are you going to share responses?

Marcella Grendler