tie-binders

I am hoping that some of you will have encountered this issue before.
Our serials librarian is interested in finding out how many libraries
use tie-binders for their periodicals, and why.  Tie binding (as you
may know) requires drilling holes in the left margin and attaching front
and back boards by inserting a cord through the holes.  Tie-binders are
used here in place of pam boxes and are removed when the journals are
ready to be bound.  Any thoughts you have on this process and its
effectiveness as a binding treatment would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kris
Kristen Kern
Cataloging