Rubberbands

This is prompted by Andrew Hart's query.

We remove rubberbands around microfilm AND microfiche.

We get rubberbands around microfilm from UMI. Are there other
micropublishers or vendors that you have found who do this with all or
part of their microfilm?

One of our technicians mentioned that some European micropublishers
deliver microfilm with some type of thin, non-adhesive tape which appears
to use static electricity to stick.  He finds it very easy to remove, and
restick to the microfilm - much easier to handle than paper and string
tie contraptions we use. He reports that if it is kept on the end when in
use, the tape automatically sticks and holds the microfilm after it is
rewound.   Have any of you had experience with this? Have
you had it tested?  Next time a shipment of microfilm comes with this on
it, I will take some samples for testing, but I am interested in your
experiences with it.

Irene Schubert, Chief                   Telephone: (202) 707-5918
Preservation Reformatting Division            FAX: (202) 707-6449
Library of Congress, Washington, DC 20540    E-mail: isch@xxxxxxx

Usual disclaimers apply