brittle books tracking software

Dear colleagues:
  Can anyone suggest a software package -- including any package developed
inhouse -- that enables a brittle books replacement unit to automate its
record keeping.  We remain a manual (paper) file of preservation search
forms, a system that is less and less efficient for us.
  I would appreciate hearing from any of you about your successes in similar
automation efforts.
  Many thanks for considering.  Feel free to post to me directly;  I will
summarize for this list.
  Sincerely,

  Wes Boomgaarden

Wesley L. Boomgaarden