Preservation Committees Info

Folks,

As promised I now have some time to share info I received from you all
regarding preservation committees in our [collective] libraries.  I have not
asked any of the respondents whether I can use their private messages to me,
but I will quote them here anonymously with all mitigating  references
deleted.  I hope this is useful to you as it is to me.  And I would like to
thank all of you very much who responded.  If anyone wants to add info to
what's here, please do so.  I'm sure everyone would appreciate it.

Robert

A.      I don't know if this is of interest, but we had a Preservation Committee
here at [X library].  for some years and disbanded it about five years
ago.  It went at a time when we were cutting way back on all kinds of
standing committees; people were too busy  to spend time cheerfully on
routine management.  We now have only a couple of standing committees (but
Disaster Preparedness is one of them).  Almost everything else is done by
Task Force and completed in a prescribed amount of time.  It is assumed
that the Preservation Department will take care of business and request a
Task Force, when necessary.

I should, however, say that Preservation is pretty firmly engrained here.
Staff are very supportive and co-operative, so I don't need a Committee to
get things done, influence other Department Heads, or compete for money. Of
course, we are only 45 people and we reach concensus easily quite often.  I
don't miss the Preservation Committee at all.

B.      At [X library] I set up a Special Materials Group.  The group
consists of the department heads [5] of areas that have special
collections/needs.  We review their special priorities for in-house
conservatiion work or vendor provided services.  Thus far it
has worked very well.  It has been in existence less than a year.

C.      I am the chair of the Preservation Committee at our library.
Unfortunately, there is no Preservation Librarian position here at [X
library], so the committee is a very important, if somewhat
belated, addition to the library. We've been in existence for about a
year and a half. About two years ago a brief attempt at a committee
existed for several months, but died out from lack of support, probably
because at that time the library was without a [head] Librarian. Since the
re-emergence of the committee and the installation of a new [head]
Librarian who supports our activities, the committee has had some
success. Of course, real support would entail funding of a preservation
position, but perhaps that is down the road. At any rate, there is no
real charge to the committee. We are more or less self driven, and the
best I can do is give you a copy of our self-imposed mission:

 	1. Develop recommendations on binding, deacidification,
microformatting, scanning, and restoration to present the Senior
Management Team and [head] Librarian.

	2. Address security issues.

	3. Review and update the library's disaster plan.

	4. Find other sources of funding and pursue granting opportunities.

	5. Recommend and initiate inexpensive in-house solutions.

	6. Fit [our library] in with national preservation needs.

	7. Prioritise collections for treatment, keeping the Collection
Development Policy in mind.

	8. Raise preservation awareness in the library.

To date, we have made some recommendations regarding use of
archival quality housing/binding materials. We have recommended the
formation of
a cross-divisional Security Committee to investigate and solve security
issues within the library. We are in the process of re-doing the Disaster
Preparedness Plan. We have accomplished numerous small, inexpensive, but
effective in-house measures, such as signage, purchase of new bookends
and step-stools, purchase of custom-made map trucks (not so inexpensive),
etc. We have created and presented several times a Staff Awareness
Training Workshop, which was relatively successful in raising awareness
about the importance of preservation and of treating the materials
ourselves with care. And now, we are in the process of identifying
portions of the collection for filming and/or scanning and looking into
potential ways of funding such an activity.

Clearly, I am biased, but I do think that our committee is very important
and useful in our institution, probably more important than many in the
institution may realize.

Hope this is helpful in some way.

D.      Our library has had a Preservation Committee since the conservation lab
was established early in 1990.  In those early days, when the concept of
preservation was new to this library, the committee played a fairly
active roll in determining the day to day activities of the lab.  In
1994, a full time Preservation Librarian was hired to oversee the
activities of the newly formed Preservation Department (Binding,
Conservation and Physical Processing).  Since that time, the committee
has refocused its efforts on policy, education and other broader
activities.  The committee has wide representation from throughout the
library, and currently includes a member from each of the public service
areas, Cataloging, Acquisitions, Systems, Media Resource Center, Special
Collections, Interlibrary Loan, with the Preservation Librarian as chair.
 Members serve rotating two years terms with roughly half the membership
changing each year.  Both faculty and classified staff serve. The
committee maintains the disaster preparedness plan and salvage
priorities, and serves as the core disaster recovery team.  We have
conducted collection condition surveys, and recently drafted a
preservation policy for the library.  Representatives from the committee
served on an ad hoc safety committee (which the Preservation Librarian
chaired) which just completed a safety manual for the library.  As you
have probably gathered from my recent PADG posting, we are also involved
in creating a food and drink policy for the library.  We have lobbied for
and won improved book return facilities and book friendly copiers. Twice
in the last eight years, we have carried out preservation awareness
signage campaigns. The committee mounts an exhibit in the library's main
lobby each September with a preservation awareness theme.  We offer
annual workshops which have included such topics as disaster recovery,
materials handling, safety procedures, and a departmental open house that
increased awareness among the staff  of on-going preservation activities.
 I have found the committee to be an invaluable aide in furthering the
cause of preservation here.  It is very helpful to have 10 people from
throughout the library behind you when requesting something that
challenges the norm, and it has furthered the cause of preservation in
the library to have members from all over the building  take their
preservation knowledge back to their units and spread the "good news."
They also serve to keep me focused, and prevent me from tackling wind
mills whose slaying would not necessarily benefit the library as a whole.
 Our charge, included below, is very much the same as it was when
presented to us in 1990.  We have interpreted it broadly, and have
maintained administrative support for our efforts.  Hope this is helpful.

X Library Preservation Committee Charge

1. Promote materials preservation in the library and the university
community.

2. Review and revise the disaster plan for the library and storage
annually in December.

3. Utilize data gathered from a collection analysis to determine priority
areas for preservation of materials in [the library] and repeat analysis
periodically as needed to adjust to changing priorities.

4. Coordinate preservation research and programming needs with
appropriate committees and individuals.

5. Review this charge each March to determine necessary changes and
additions.

E.       The [X library's] Preservation Advisory Committee's
charge is:

to study preservation policies, issues and problems, including disaster
preparedness needs and capabilities; recommend and maintain a disaster
preparedness plan;  and maintain and present basic preservation awareness
information to the Libraries staff and to the university community, as
appropriate.

I have used the committee to begin writing the disaster plan, but have found
it a hard slog, since that involved committee members learning about disaster
preparedness and response, then synthesizing the knowledge into a workable
plan. We've bogged down, more than once, particularly as I've been involved in
some space reallocation planning and a couple of other new initiatives--we're
a new preservation program here, so there are several new initiatives that
must begin for me to feel like the program has the proper shape. I'll use the
committee as part of the disaster recovery team and have them trained next
month. I'll also turn the design of an exhibit over to them. Simultaneously,
we'll see about completing the plan.

Hope that helps.

F.      It turns out that [X] University's preservation committee had been
working without a charge for about the last decade. We managed to
correct that last year. Our newly approved charge is

   The Preservation Coordinating Committee's primary responsibility
   is to indentify preservation needs within [X] University Library
   and to recommend policies and practices to meet these needs. In
   addition, the Committee works to educate the library staff and
   University community in preservation awareness. The Committee has
   written a disaster plan and is responsible for keeping it updated.

The Committee is useful. Especially in updating the disaster plan. Just
to boast, it was last updated in March of this year. We also sponsor
presentations in conjunction with the Staff Development Committee.
Last year we had a session on personal security. People from Campus
Security provided tips on personal safety, explained what services
were offered on campus and provided whistles that have Security's
phone number printed on them. Several years ago there was a program
on fire safety that ended with a hands on fire extinguisher demonstration.
Even though Smokey the Bear was unable to attend there was a great
response to this session and there have been requests that we repeat it.

Currently the Committee is looking at revising the food and drink policy.
We also hope to get Jan Merrill-Oldham to visit and talk about preservation.

If you would like more information about [X library's] Preservation Committee,
please let me know. Hope this helps.

G.      We have a Preservation Facilities Working Group which focuses on
building,
environment, renovation issues, etc. that will affect collections.  We have
been meeting for about 1.5 years.  We have been successful in raising
awareness of preservation considerations among the facilities staffs, in
improving environment, and  becoming more involved with relevant projects as
they develop.

H.       Excellent topic....We do not have a preservation cttee, but
I am very much in favor of creating one.  And the charge and
membership needs close consideration.  Are you creating one, is that
why you're asking?  If so, why?  What do you hope to do, or is it
something that's being foisted on you?  There are definitely pro's
and con's to having one.  I guess it depends on how much control you
give it...I don't like people telling me what to do, on the one hand,
but on the other hand, communication stinks around here and I get no
direction, collection dev. info, or any info (except from the top)
from her, so the idea of getting more input from the people
developing the collections would really help me.

I.      I was glad to see your inquiry re: preservation  committees and wish to
 respond.   I have been an integral member of  such a committee at [X]
>Library , [Y] University, for 10 years and I have been ever seeking
other institutions with a similar committee to no avail.  I
am the "preservation person," B.A.-non-MLS, Head of
Preservation/Binding/Processing Unit  and report to the
Technical Services Librarian.  I have chaired the
Preservation Committee for the last 5 years.  The committee
is composed of classified staff and librarians from various
areas of the library.  The mission of the committee is to
support the daily activities of the Preservation/Binding
Unit and to educate both library users and staff through
the following means:

? encouraging the efforts of the Unit to preserve the collections through
recommendations to the library administration for appropriate policies and
materials support as needed;

? fostering and applying current awareness of useful new technological
developments in preservation of print, nonprint, and other electronic media,
by disseminating information discovered through various sources amongst
its members and the Preservation/Binding Unit;

? reviewing, revising and disseminating the contents of the library's
Disaster Plan on a yearly basis;

? designing occasional signage, displays, brochures and other publicity
efforts to inform the library users and library staff of common dangers
to collection preservation such as mishandling, mutilation, and damage
from food and drink; and

? providing periodic orientation for all new library staff regarding
collection preservation "basics."

I hope you will share some of your responses and experiences with the
listserv as I am in need of new ideas and would very much appreciate knowing
others who participate in similar committee responsibilities.

J.      Our preservation committee charge and description is
below, but first let me describe what we've been doing. We
have been meeting as a group since last January, and I
believe that the group has been successful in increasing
awareness and support for preservation throughout the
libraries.  While we have used several meetings for brain
storming about preservation priorities, members have been
enthusiastic about special topic meetings.  For example,
Maxine Sitts came and talked about the activities of the
Commission on Preservation and Access, and we had a report
on CAPNET's workshop, "Those Pesky Accompanying
Materials," i.e. mixed media housing.

Members have also accompanied us on visits to tour our
commercial bindery, National Underground Storage, and
Preservation Technology's Bookkeeper operation.
Participants learned a lot and had a chance, on long van
rides, to get to know one another.
I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about our
committee.  Meanwhile, our Charge document follows:

UNIVERSITY OF [X] LIBRARIES PRESERVATION COMMITTEE

CHARGE
The Preservation Committee is charged to facilitate the attainment of
preservation goals and to oversee the accomplishment of
other preservation activities through a cooperative,
consensual process.

DESCRIPTION
The committee serves as an advisory group to the Preservation Department
and as an educational and information-sharing forum.  The committee
is envisioned also as a task force ó a group that will work collectively
on preservation needs assessment, preservation planning,
preservation funding allocation, and tasks such as
identifying collections preservation priorities or
establishing uniform procedures for certain preservation
activities (e.g. preservation photocopying of replacement
pages).  Meetings might begin with a brief educational or
information sharing presentation (e.g., video, handout,
verbal update on a preservation topic).  The meeting
agendas will be driven both by the concerns of the
members and by key issues identified by the Head of
Preservation.  Any tasks to be accomplished will be
delegated to the members of the group or assigned to a
smaller group within the committee.

Initially, the committee will focus on preservation
awareness among its members and the library staff.  One of
the committee's first major tasks will be to develop a
preservation plan with preservation priorities.

The committee will meet bimonthly.  Appointments will be
made for two-year terms, except for the Preservation
Department staff, who are permanent committee members.

COMPOSITION
The committee will be composed of 8 members.  Guests may be
invited to specific meetings to address special concerns.
The committee will be chaired by the Head of Preservation
and will include representation from the following areas:

Collection Management and Special Collections
1 bibliographer
1 representative from Rare Books/
        Archives/Manuscripts

Public Services
1 representative from the branch libraries
1 representative from Circulation Coordinating Committee
1 representative from General Reference (including
        Periodicals and Government Documents)

Technical Services
3 representatives from the Preservation Department -- head,
        assistant head, conservator.

K.      In addition, I found preservation committee info on Indiana
University Libraries Preservation and Reformatting Services website in their
"Preservation and Reformatting Services Manual" in the OVERVIEW AND
DEPARTMENTAL FUNCTIONS section:
http://www.indiana.edu/~libpres/Manual/prsmanual2.html

Robert J. Milevski
Preservation Librarian